6 – Shoreditch College Year Group 1973
Discovery Trail 6 (Eastern Gateway Building Display Cabinets, University Archives)
Shoreditch College of Education was founded as a pupil-teacher centre in 1902 to formalise the position of handicraft teachers. It became known as Shoreditch Technical Institute while located in Pitfield Street, London and then transferred to Cooper’s Hill, Englefield Green, Surrey in 1951. In the 1960s, the first BEd degree course was validated and the College’s name changed to Shoreditch College of Education. It became a leading teacher training institution in the field of Craft, Design & Technology (CDT). It merged with Brunel University in 1980, becoming Brunel’s Runnymede campus. The campus was finally sold in 2007 when all departments were moved to Brunel’s Uxbridge campus.
The photographs show the Year 1973 at Shoreditch College, with the distinct Runnymede campus landscape in the background. It became an annual event for the students to have their photographs taken—one in a formal style (black and white), the other in colour with all the students in fancy dress.
Images copyright of Gillman and Soame