10 – Maria Grey College Blazer
Discovery Trail 10 (Eastern Gateway Building Display Cabinets, University Archives)
Maria Grey College began as the Teachers’ Training & Registration Society College on 1 May 1878 in Clergy House, Skinner Street, Bishopsgate, London. The Teachers’ Training & Registration Society was created by the Women’s Education Union to promote women’s right to education and the professional recognition of female teachers. The Society was promoted by Maria Grey, who was also instrumental in founding the Union. In 1885, the College moved to Fitzroy Square and was renamed Maria Grey College, after its founder, in 1886. It moved again to Twickenham in 1946.
In 1976, the College merged with Borough Road College and Acton & Chiswick Polytechnic to form the West London Institute of Higher Education (WLIHE), which became part of Brunel University in 1995.
The blazer pictured is on display as part of the trail and was kindly donated to Brunel University London Archives by Pam Tilney Ellis, who graduated from Maria Grey College in 1954.