1 – Plan for the Development of the College – 1962
Discovery Trail 1 (Eastern Gateway Building Display Cabinets, University Archives)
Brunel University London began as Acton Technical College in 1928. In 1957, the College was divided into two, creating a new institution called Brunel College of Technology. This new College focused on the education of technologists and, in particular, it pioneered the concept of the ‘sandwich’ course. In 1962, the College was designated a College of Advanced Technology. Given that the optimum size for this type of college was 2,000 students, it was decided that the existing site in Acton couldn’t accommodate such numbers. The new site chosen was a 170-acre plot in Uxbridge, formerly the Lowe and Shawyer nursery and market garden.
As a result, Brunel College was the first College of Advanced Technology to be planned from scratch. Many of the proposals contained in the Plan were tentative as there were no precedents in the UK to look at and draw upon. The proposals were presented in such a way that maximum freedom for development and change in the future could be ensured.
The Plan, prepared by Richard Sheppard, Robson and Partners, Chartered Architects, was presented to the Governors of Brunel College on 18 September 1962.